Things which matter most must never be at the mercy of things that matter least.
-Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Just to Name a Few


I’ve been working on this post for a really long time. Considering the amount of people, this shouldn’t be too surprising. But these here are some (honestly, only some. It really is just a few) of the people that, especially during the last few years, have influenced my life a great deal and have helped mold who I have become today. And I thank God every day for allowing them to be a part of my life, for they bless it, each and every way. So, in no particular order:




Oh, Christina. It's hard for me to put into words what she means to me and how she's changed my life. Many times while in Ukraine, she was the only one who could really reach me. Although that bothered me sometimes, I learned rather quickly that she was one of the people I needed to meet while I was there. I couldn't have gotten through certain times in my life had it not been for her and her willingness to be obedient and listen to the spirit. I will never forget the night we were in Slovakia just sitting up in our room, talking about her experiences on her mission to Belgium. I hold what she said to me then close to my heart, and I will never forget what she's done for me.

Darcie

Darcie. Heavens, we've been friends for far too long :P I have learned so much from you, it's ridiculous. No one else has shown me by example how to trust in the Lord so fully and carefully as you. I look up to you in that sense more than anyone else I know. You're always willing to do what God asks you to and I wish I had more of that in myself. You've been willing to tell me when I've crossed a line, and I'm so grateful for that; most people would never tell me. Thanks for always putting up with my crap.

Kayloni
I can't remember a time when we weren't good friends. It doesn't matter how long we haven't talked or seen each other, the moment we do, it is as if it was only yesterday we had. No matter what, if I need someone, she'll be there, any time of day. She's always there for a listening ear and I can't express my thanks enough. She's my go to girl and we've shared more than even I wish we had :P She's my example of how to always be happy, even when one has every right to be down. No matter what she's always smiling, and I just keep trying to be like that one day.

Honestly, I would have died in Ukraine if it wasn't for her. She was my little slice of home in a country halfway around the world. She always has new insights to share on gospel subjects and always has a smile on her face. No matter what, she is willing to reach out to others and tell them how wonderful, awesome or amazing they are. She's one of those who helped my confidence soar in a way it never had before. She has no idea how often I try to emulate her acts because of the way her actions have changed me, but it's basically all the time. She's always telling everyone else how great they are, but just this once, I want to tell her how amazingly stupendous she is. Because truly, she is.

Tanner
Where do I even begin? The amount of drama has been ridiculous between me and him, but you know what? It's been totally worth it. Thanks to him, I have learned (or at least, gained some) patience. It's because of him that I have learned that sometimes, I really need to get off of my pedestal and grow up. I wish there was some way that I could emulate the determination this kid has to always become better. He's always striving to become more perfected in so many ways, and hopefully I'll be able to be like that one day.
Connie
This girl is always willing to help others. It does not matter how long she's known you, how well she knows you, or if she even knows you at all. She's shown me a kind of compassion that I have seen in few other people and I can't thank her enough. Although I haven't seen her in quite some time, I know that if I were to need anything, I could go to her, and she'd be there.

Nate
No one has complimented me more than this man. He's one of the other reasons I have any sort of confidence in myself. Whenever I see him, he's already got some sort of compliment on the tip of his tongue, and that truly is a gift. He's taught me how to love others, even when they're hard to get along with sometimes. His example is one that I cherish, because his example is one I hope to be one day. He's taught me how one should treat their family and always be their best friend first. And I'm so grateful for it.

Lisa
She was such a struggle to get along with at first. We both were trying so hard to get along, that we just kept clashing. She taught me how to care for those don't get along with. For a week, she took care of me when I wasn't able to take care of myself and I can just imagine the struggle it was to do so. I'm so grateful that I was able to get over my pride and just be friends with her. She taught me a life lesson I will not soon forget.

I miss this girl a lot of days. She was always the fun loving, happy go lucky girl. So many times she was there to just listen. She is such a good listener, and so bad at the advice either. I can't imagine having had to go through high school without her there every weekend. Even when I was half a world away, I knew I could still call her up and chat for no real reason, or a very important reason. She's taught me how to love life, even in the struggles, and I'm so glad I can call her friend.

Torrey
From soccer buds to college friends. We've been through loads together. She's taught me how to put family first. How to do the things that you want to do, despite what others may think. She's shown me how to be studious, something that I wish I could be. She's always there for me, no matter what. Night or day (or before dawn... thanks astronomy) she's there. She's one of the few friends I still have from so long ago, and she's definitely one of the best. 

Heather
My dear twin. Of all the people that I wish I could be like, she's definitely one of the top few. She has taught me so much. To her, life is the greatest gift, and she lives it to the fullest. She's shown me how to be a true friend. How to reach out to those who can't help themselves. How to use one's gifts for good and the nurturing of others. Her example is one that I have seen on few and far between, and she has touched my life in ways that I am still uncovering. 
Taryn
I don't know where I would be without Taryn. It's hard for me to think of how far apart we grown from each other, when we were once the best of friends. I could not have gotten through high school without her at my side. She has always been one to be obedient to her parents, and I honestly envy her of that. She's taught me how one can and should restrain yourself from doing something stupid or rude. Her patience amazes me, and I'm so glad I have been friends with her long enough to have some of that patience rub off onto me. 

Marissa
My sister. By living in her life on the sidelines, I have learned so much. I have been forced to grow spiritually in ways I never thought imaginable because she needed help and I was the one who needed to give it to her. She's taught me humility. She's helped me understand Christ. She's beloved to me in a way that few understand. Many wonder how in the world we are friends, and to them I say, they don't know a thing. She is the salt to my pepper, the cheese to my macaroni. I would be, literally, in hell, if not for her.
Whitney
She's one of those, "I know I'm not perfect, but dangit I'm going to do the best I can anyway" kinds of people. She has such a determination to do good. I really wish I was more like that. Her smile is one that can light up an entire building, not just a room. I love her go-to attitude, her "I'm cool with who I am" aura. She lives to please herself and her God, not the rest of the world. The self confidence she has developed is one that I can only dream of achieving one day. She's taught me how to believe in myself through her example, and taught me to also just be myself, something I've always struggled with. Pretty much, I just love everything about this girl. And I honestly wonder how in the world I would have survived the east coast for 2 weeks if not for her. 
Jon
The wingman of my life. Jon needs an entire blog post to himself to express what he's taught me. To name a few things he's taught me: how to raise a family, how to give a listening ear, how to follow the spirit, how to know when to bend the rules just a little bit, for the benefit of another person (even if you could get in heaps of trouble for doing so), how to befriend those in need, how to smile through the pain, how to trust God's judgement, how to trust your own judgement, and most importantly, how to live a Christ-like life. He's been there for me since I was 12 and I can't imagine life without him. Frankly, I probably wouldn't have a life to live if not for him.

Sheri
Hands down the most charitable person I know. She's like Jon in the fact that she  needs her own post to explain all she's taught me, but for the short version: how to be compassionate, how to admit you need help, how to smile even when you're crying, how to trust in the Lord, how to take care and raise a family, how to accept those who can't accept themselves, how to cook (ha ha), how to respect family, and most importantly, how to take others in under your wing. I can't thank her enough for the number of times she's done each of these for me.There are only a handful of people that I love as much as her.

Doug
I won't even get into this one much. Most importantly, Doug has shown me what God sees in me. By the way he treats me every day (or every week as it is now), I know how much God loves me, because I know how much Doug does. I couldn't possibly thank him enough for all that he's taught me over the last 4 years which is why I'm so grateful I'll have an eternity to show him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment